Venue: Abel Smith (building 23), The University of Queensland, St Lucia.
Ancient History Day 2017: Art in the Ancient Mediterranean World
The Friends of Antiquity, in conjunction with The Discipline of Classics and Ancient History (School of Historical and Philosophical Inquiry, UQ), present the 23rd Annual Ancient History Day.
Presentations of 45 minutes each by:
- Dr Linda Evans (Macquarie University) 'Egypt's Marvellous Menagerie'
- Dr Dorothy Watts AM 'Celtic art – original or derivative?'
- Emeritus Professor Bob Milns AM 'Alexander the Great – art as propaganda'
- Dr Janette McWilliam 'Representations of Children in Roman and Etruscan Art'
- Professor Alastair Blanshard 'Greek art and the pursuit of beauty'
- Dr Caillan Davenport 'Roman Emperors in art: public image and popular perception'
Please Note: A detailed program will be available for collection at the registration desks on Ancient History Day.
Advance payment recommended but may be made on the day. Plenty of seating available. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION BY 15 MARCH 2017:
Ancient History Day 2017 Registration Form
$50; $15 each for students with ID; $40 each for FoA/AFUQ members. Cost includes morning tea.
- 8:00–9:00: REGISTRATION - Foyer of Abel Smith Lecture Theatre
- 9:00–9:15: CHAIR: Dr Dorothy Watts; WELCOME & INTRODUCTORY TALK: Head, School of Historical and Philosophical Inquiry (formerly HPRC)
- 10:50–11:20: MORNING TEA – Please note that food and drinks are not permitted in the theatre
- 1:00–2:15: LUNCH - Food outlets on campus will be listed on signs in the foyer
Food is available at some campus outlets, or at St Lucia village, or BYO.
Parking at UQ is free on weekends (more information: www.pf.uq.edu.au/parking). The R D Milns Antiquities Museum is open at lunch break. There will be foyer displays and sales, including secondhand books (AFUQ) and Museum souvenirs. Visit the Co-op Bookshop for new book sales. Teachers only CPD certificate orders may be placed on the day ($15 per certificate, postage included).
Friends of Antiquity (email@example.com); R D Milns Antiquities Museum (www.uq.edu.au/antiquities); Alumni Friends of UQ Inc (07) 3365 1562; School of HAPI (07) 3365 2620.